Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Name Kaleidoscopes

Power is back on!

The last couple days have been interesting. Hurricane Irma went up through parts of Florida and up into Georgia so we lost power and had a lot of trees and power lines down in my area. We were actually out of school the last three days. With no power, I worked on some artwork of my own and got some examples ready for my next lessons.

My last post was about some of the fall themed projects I have going on but that is not all. I wanted to go ahead and dive into color schemes with third grade. One of my favorite projects for this is having them make kaleidoscope designs. In the past, I have had them done on paper but I have a ton of large coffee filters so I have decided to use those instead. I think these are easier to see through for the kids as the trace their design.

If you have not done these before, they are easy and the kiddos "oh and ah" when you fold up the design and show that the cool design is actually a name. They first begin with the filter and they fold it in half twice so that they have 8 sections.


 I cut out some white paper (6x6) and gave one to each student. I had them trace the filter while it is still folded into that pie piece and cut that cone shape out  of the paper to use to write their name (or intials) on.


They fill up the shape writing their name going from top to bottom. They trace the name with sharpie on both sides and then this will be used to trace their names onto the filter as it rotates around.





Once they have it traced all the way around, then it is time for the color schemes. We review the color wheel and the four main color schemes that we are focusing on for this project:primary, secondary, warm and cool. They must pick one to use for their design. We also discuss tints and shades and they can also choose to use tints and shades of the three colors in the scheme to color in the design. They are told to keep their design symmetrical and if they color one shape of their design with a color, that they should use it for all of those shapes. My example is cool!
They all are successful and they are beautiful on display as well! And since they are in that circle shape, I could have even used these for Dot Day. I may keep that in mind for next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Art Aprons